Vegan Shepherd's Pie. There is something very wintry, very comforting about Shepherd's Pie. Hearty vegetables in a brothy sauce topped with fluffy mashed potatoes, all baked to bubbly perfectly. Jamie's vegan shepherd's pie recipe is a warm and comforting treat; topped with a root mash and breadcrumbs this vegan shepherds pie is a real crowd pleaser.
This shepherd's pie does take some time, but divide up make ahead, then layer and store until ready on bake on the day. Shepherd's Pie season is upon us and this super cozy vegetarian version is running around on the loose in our house. That being said, if you want this to be a completely vegan shepherd's pie, just use olive oil instead of butter and maybe a splash of. You can have Vegan Shepherd's Pie using 16 ingredients and 23 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vegan Shepherd's Pie
- You need 500 g of rinsed, 12h-soaked green&brown lentils*.
- You need 1500 g of water.
- It’s to taste of salt & pepper.
- It’s 1 of large white onion ca.175g.
- Prepare 4-6 of garlic cloves ca.20g.
- It’s 3-4 of carrots ca.200g.
- You need of Olive oil (or vegan butter).
- You need 4 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1½tsp dryied thyme.
- It’s 2420 g of diced potatoes (came from a packet of 3kg).
- Prepare of salted water (e.g. 2tbsp of smoked salt).
- You need 260 g of cashews.
- It’s 340 g of water (e.g. reuse potato water).
- You need of herb salt.
- It’s of ground pepper.
- It’s of ground nutmeg.
- It’s of or the equivalent in jarred precooked lentils.
This naturally vegan lentil shepherd's pie is made by baking stewed lentils and vegetables with a garlic chive mashed potato topping. The Best Vegan Shepherd's Pie features protein rich lentils with a medley of vegetables in a rich gravy, topped with classic mashed potatoes and baked to perfection for a rustic, comfort food everyone will love! Savory, comforting, hearty, easy to make and delicious. This healthy delicious recipe for Vegan Shepherds Pie involves no shepherds or sheep!
Vegan Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Rub 27x36cm casserole with raw garlic clove, grease with vegan butter or olive oil (a spray is easiest).
- Boil lentils in 1.5 l of water for 40min (or use 2x 660g glas jars of lentils).
- Or cook lentils w/out soaking in thermomix.
- If termomix available: add 500g lentils, tbsp veggie broth powder and 1.5l water; program 100°C for 40min reverse speed 1. Done :).
- Lentils into casserole.
- Add salt & pepper to please your taste.
- Mince garlic (in tmx at speed 7), onion, carrots (tmx 5) and sautee with thyme in olive oil (tmx varoma speed 1 for 3min).
- Add garlic etc to lentils in casserole and combine everything.
- Let heat up and simmer at low temperature.
- Grind pepper over lentils if desired.
- Peal off knobbly parts of potato. I often leave a large amount of skin on because I like it. Choose what you prefer..
- Dice potatoes and start boiling salted water in pot.
- When water is boiling add the potatoes, cover with lid and set timer for 15 minutes.
- During cooking time you will need to lessen heat so potatoes don't boil over.
- Preheat 220℃ oven.
- Potatoes need to be very soft for mashing, and if done, pour out water (keep it for making cashew cream).
- Potatoes back into pot, lid on and now blend cashews with water at highest speed for 90 seconds.
- Start mashing up potatoes, add cashew cream (depending on type of potato you might not need all of the cream) and a dab of butter. Add salt, nutmeg and pepper to your taste..
- If using separate frying pan, transfer thickened lentils to casserole. Lentils are the base layer.
- Top with mashed potatoes.
- Into oven for 10-15 minutes until mash is a bit browned at peaks.
- If lentils are a bit liquidy you can use hot-air oven, then please turn down to 200℃.
- As I have left the peal on half of the potatoes, you can see specks of it in the baked potato crust of this just out-of-the-oven delicious shepherd's pie.
The rich and flavorful vegan stew is made with savory mushrooms and root vegetables. It's rich and deep enough for a full-bodied glass of red wine, and, depending on how you. The ultimate Vegan Lentil Shepherd's Pie featuring rich, flavourful, saucy lentils topped with fluffy, creamy mashed potatoes & baked until deliciously golden brown & crispy. Can we all agree that Shepherd's Pie is the ultimate. A rich, vegan lentil stew topped with homemade mashed potatoes.