Grandma Liem’s Pastel Tutup (Indonesian Cottage Pie) Recipe. Pastel tutup is what they call this shepeherd's pie it in Indonesia. This is quite different from the pastel ayam (Indonesian Empanadas). Pastel tutup has a stir-fried filling usually consists of ground meat, veggies, bean thread noodles It bears a lot of similarities with Shepherd's Pie or Cottage Pie.
Cuando esté caliente echamos la carne picada, salamos y dejamos que se haga, removiendo de vez en cuando. Indonesian Desserts Asian Desserts Indonesian Food Tart Recipes Snack Recipes Cooking Recipes Snacks Foto Pastel Asian Appetizers. I'm sharing another Indonesian snack today. You can have Grandma Liem’s Pastel Tutup (Indonesian Cottage Pie) Recipe using 16 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Grandma Liem’s Pastel Tutup (Indonesian Cottage Pie) Recipe
- It’s of potatoes (any variety that is good for mash) or mixed with celeriac for lighter choice.
- Prepare of medium shallot, chopped.
- It’s of onion, chopped.
- Prepare of medium carrot, cubed approx. 0.5cm.
- It’s of cubed (05.cm) meat of your choice (chicken/pork/beef/cooked prawn/sausage/tinned spam) or vegetarian meat substitute or tofu.
- Prepare of thinly sliced wood ear mushroom (Auricularia auricula-judae aka jelly ear or Jew's ear or black fungus. In Indonesian known as jamur kuping).
- Prepare of glass noodle (soaked in hot water for no longer than 2 minutes then drain).
- You need of peas (frozen or fresh or tin).
- Prepare of stock (chicken or vegetable or beef stock).
- It’s of Milk or corn flour (optional).
- It’s of Parsley and/or chives, chopped.
- Prepare of Boiled eggs (optional), cut into quarters.
- It’s of egg.
- You need of grated cheese (cheddar or any type you like).
- Prepare of Salt, Pepper.
- Prepare of ground nutmeg (optional).
Yes, we do have lots of snacks in Indonesia. This is fried bread with spicy fish filling. Shepherd's pie, cottage pie, hachis Parmentier. In Indonesia a similar dish is known as "pastel tutup" (closed pie), and is usually made with chicken and several vegetables such as carrot, green peas and boiled eggs, all topped with mashed potatoes.
Grandma Liem’s Pastel Tutup (Indonesian Cottage Pie) Recipe step by step
- Steam or boil the potatoes (and/or celeriac if you like) then mash it with a touch of butter. If you like creamier mash add milk as you like..
- Stir fry the chopped onion and shallots until soft. Add the cubbed carrot, meat (or vegetarian substitute), peas (if use tinned pea, add this last), mushroom. Add the glass noodle and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg (if using). Pour stock. If you want it creamy, add a few spoonful of milk or corn flour mixed with water. Add the chopped herbs (parsley/chives).
- Transfer the filling into an oven proof dish. If using boiled egg, arrange the quartered eggs on top..
- Cover with mash potato. Brush with egg and sprinkle some grated cheese..
- Bake in the oven 190-200C for 30-40 minutes (until the top is golden brown)..
- Serve with salad (if you like), mayonnaise and (if you have Indonesian taste) chilli sauce (Sambal ABC or sriracha)..
My grandmother served this old fashioned chocolate pie recipe after Sunday dinner each week, usually with an apology it was "too runny" or something else was wrong with it. Of course, grandma's chocolate pie was never less than perfect! – Donna Vest Tilley, Chesterfield, Virginia. James Martin's easy cottage pie recipe is a family favourite. He goes back to basics to show you how to make a classic version, but easier. Serve the cottage pie with the peas.