Classic Pot Roast.
You can cook Classic Pot Roast using 18 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Classic Pot Roast
- Prepare of chuck roast (about 2" thick).
- Prepare of salt.
- You need of black pepper.
- Prepare of olive oil, divided.
- It’s of thinly sliced yellow or white onions.
- It’s of diced carrots.
- You need of diced celery or celery root.
- You need of parsnip, peeled and diced.
- It’s of garlic cloves, chopped.
- Prepare of shiitake or portabello mushrooms, sliced.
- It’s of chili powder.
- You need of reduced-sodium, low-fat beef broth.
- You need of tomato sauce.
- You need of red wine.
- It’s of dried thyme leaves.
- You need of bay leaves.
- It’s of cornstarch.
- You need of cold water.
Classic Pot Roast step by step
- Preheat oven to 300°F F. Trim beefof all visible fat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper..
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large Dutch oven. Add beef and brown on all sides. Remove from pan..
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onions, carrots, celery and parsnip to pan. Saute' until lightly browned, about 8 minutes..
- Add garlic, mushrooms, chili powder and cook 3 minutes..
- Return meat to pan, and add broth, tomato sauce, red wine, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Place in oven and cook 3 to 3 1/2 hours, until beef is fork tender. (There will be lots of liquid.).
- Dissolve cornstarch in cold water. Pour cornstarch mixture into pan, stirring constantly. Return to oven and cook 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened..
- Per serving: 440 calories, 19g fat, 18mg chol, 42g prot,18g carbs, 3g fiber,510mg sodium.