Chankoya Restaurant's Salt-based Chanko Hot Pot. Chanko Nabe or Sumo Stew is a robust hot pot filled with all kinds of vegetables and tons of protein in a rich dashi and chicken broth. This well-balanced meal is traditionally eaten by sumo wrestlers but also enjoyed at home or some restaurants. Spring is here and why am I still sharing a hot pot recipe?
While chanko nabe refers to any types of hot pot eaten by sumo wrestlers, the most typical style is chicken as a main protein and cooked in chicken broth. Chanko Nabe, a.k.a. 'Sumo Stew' is a popular style of eating hot pot hailing from Japan. It's the food of choice for sumo wrestlers, thus the nickname. You can cook Chankoya Restaurant's Salt-based Chanko Hot Pot using 28 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chankoya Restaurant's Salt-based Chanko Hot Pot
- Prepare of Soup.
- You need 750 ml of Water.
- Prepare 150 ml of Alcohol (sake if possible. If using cooking sake, use 50 ml).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Chicken stock powder.
- It’s 5 grams of Salt (seaweed salt or anything with a lot of minerals is best. Sea salt is better than mountain salt).
- Prepare 1 clove of Garlic (grated).
- Prepare 1 dash of Ginger (grated).
- It’s 1 tbsp of Mirin.
- You need 1 tsp of Soy sauce.
- It’s 1 tsp of Sesame oil.
- Prepare 1/4 of Onion (to bring out the sweetness).
- It’s of Chicken meatballs.
- It’s 250 grams of Ground chicken thigh meat.
- You need 1/4 of Onions (finely chopped).
- You need 1 dash of White Miso.
- It’s 1 dash of Sesame seeds.
- You need 1 dash of Sesame oil.
- You need 1 of Ginger juice.
- It’s of Other Ingredients (use whatever you like).
- You need 100 grams of Chicken thigh meat.
- Prepare 100 grams of Thinly sliced pork.
- It’s 1/8 head of Cabbage.
- Prepare 1/2 bunch of Chinese garlic chives.
- You need 1 bunch of Mitsuba.
- It’s 1 of Carrot.
- Prepare 1 of your choice Mushrooms (Shiitake, Shimeji, Enoki, Maitake, etc.).
- Prepare 1 of Aburaage.
- It’s 1 block of Grilled tofu.
Vegetables, seafood and meat can be cooked in seasoned broth at the dinner table as you dine together. The chanko nabe here uses white barley miso for the stock, which gives the soup a slightly sweet flavour. Get the shio chanko (salt-based soup): the generous sprinkling of sesame seeds on top adds a beautiful aroma to the soup, the chicken and pork. A protein rich Japanese style hot pot dish, chanko nabe is famous for being eaten regularly by sumo wrestlers, as it provides them with the energy they need in the ring.
Chankoya Restaurant's Salt-based Chanko Hot Pot step by step
- First make soup in a pot. Add all of the ingredients except for the onion and bring to a boil. Taste and cool. At this point, the saltiness should be somewhat strong..
- Add onion cut into wedges, into the cooled soup. The sweetness will soak through and create a pleasant taste..
- Cut and prepare the necessary ingredients. Since it takes awhile for the carrots to cook through, add to the pot first..
- Mix the ingredients for the chicken meatballs well and form into balls using a spoon. *If you don't have ground meat, mince by using a food processor..
- Add all of the meat ingredients, and the cabbage and other vegetable ingredients into the soup. After it has boiled well, all you have to do is eat!.
- To finish up, you can add Chanpon Noodles, udon, rice, or anything! I have also transformed it into thick starchy sauce!.
Like other nabe hot pot dishes, this recipe is designed to be cooked in a communal hotpot on the centre of the dining table. ◎CHANKO KUROSHIO; a chanko nabe hot pot specialty restaurant with cuisine prepared by former sumo wrestlers of the Sadogatake-beya stable in Kagurazaka, Iidabashi. ◎Located right next to Kagurazaka Bishamonten Temple, one step further into the back street. Chanko Nabe is a full-package of nutritious value, you don't have to be a sumo wrestler to try this delicious pot in It's one total health hot pot you could ever imagine. Ramen with salt based soup tastes just like the ones we had back in time. All reviews lunch chanko hot pot sumo wrestler english menu meal meat broth japan. Especially Salt taste soup is so tasty.