'Better than it looks' Split pea and ham soup. Allow the soup to cool before freezing (don't leave to cool at room temperature over an hour to avoid harmful bacteria). Freezing Split Pea and Ham Soup: Portion the soup into freezer bags or freezer-safe containers or fill an airtight container as much as possible (to. I've always said that Lentil Soup is the least sexy looking soup in the world.
It's also freezer friendly, so you can make a batch and freeze I love using smoked ham hocks in pea soup, it gives the soup a wonderful smoky flavor, but if you don't have ham hocks you can also use a leftover. This split pea and ham soup slow cooker recipes seriously couldn't be any easier. You literally add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and then walk away while it cooks up one of the most fabulous, heart-warming, and rich split pea soups you've ever had the fortune to eat. You can cook 'Better than it looks' Split pea and ham soup using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of 'Better than it looks' Split pea and ham soup
- Prepare 1/2 cup of dried split peas.
- You need 2-3 slices of ham, shredded, chopped, whatever.
- It’s 1 cup of chicken stock.
- It’s of 'Flavouring' (I used a tablespoon of leftover casserole liquid).
- You need 1 of onion, chopped.
- You need 1 of celery stick, chopped.
- It’s of Black pepper and the like.
- Prepare 2 tsp of olive oil or something similar.
And, remember, I grew up on. Pour in broth and water and stir to combine. Reserve remaining ham for another use. It is very healthy and creamy and full of flavor!
'Better than it looks' Split pea and ham soup instructions
- Soak your peas overnight or to packet instructions..
- Add oil to the pan and cook onion and celery until soft, add pepper..
- Add the stock and 'flavouring' to the pan along with the peas..
- Cook for an hour or less depending on how firm you like the peas. 1 hour should be broken down quite well. Be careful of sticking..
Way better than the canned stuff. I'm pretty sure there is no way to make this soup look appetizing; in fact it was the color that turned me off to split pea soup for years. But don't let the picture fool you! I recently made this soup using yellow split peas instead of green and loved the way it looked and tasted. Split Pea & Ham Soup is one of the best soups ever, in my opinion and the secret is the ham bone.