Chipotle Lime Pulled Pork Tacos w/ Citrus Crema Slaw.
You can cook Chipotle Lime Pulled Pork Tacos w/ Citrus Crema Slaw using 27 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chipotle Lime Pulled Pork Tacos w/ Citrus Crema Slaw
- Prepare of Marinade——–.
- You need 2 tbsp of honey.
- Prepare 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar.
- You need 2 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- It’s of Spice rub——–.
- It’s of Cracked black pepper.
- You need of Garlic powder.
- You need of Garlic salt.
- It’s of Dried basil/oregano mix.
- It’s of Seasoned salt.
- You need of Cooking base———.
- You need 1 c. of Water.
- You need 1 c. of Lime juice.
- You need 6 oz. of beer.
- Prepare 1/4 of large purple onion (sliced, in rings).
- Prepare 1 of raw lime, wedged.
- It’s 1 can of chipotles in adobo sauce.
- Prepare of Main————.
- It’s 5 lb of sirloin pork roast.
- Prepare 1 bag of storebought slaw.
- It’s of Sour cream.
- It’s of Lime juice.
- You need of Raw lime.
- You need 3/4 of purple onion.
- You need 1 packet of Baja citrus powder marinade.
- It’s of Fresh, chopped Cilantro.
- You need of Flour tortillas.
Chipotle Lime Pulled Pork Tacos w/ Citrus Crema Slaw instructions
- First off, to make the ingredients simple, I listed them in the different phases. I used 1 entire large purple onion (it's listed as 1/4 and 3/4 in ingredients) and for the lime juice I used 2 of those fake plastic limes filled with juice and 2 raw limes. The spice rub is preference really.. Go easy on the salts and heavy on the basil/oregano. Ok. Let's get started….
- First, put all the 'cooking base' ingredients in the slow cooker on high. It'll warm as we prep the meat. Mix the 'marinade' in a bowl and microwave it about 20 seconds so the honey will mix with the oil and balsamic. Make your spice rub. You'll need about 3/4 cups at least..
- NOW! Time to work our meat a little (giggity) so get the pork roast on a solid cutting board (never cut raw meat on wood) use a plate if you don't have one. I say 5 lbs of pork roast. For me that came in 2, 2 1/2 lb roasts. They're going to have a thick layer of fat completely covering one side. Trim all that off and discard. This is going to test your butchering skills. If your good you should be able to cut the whole flap of fat off in one sheet without cutting off any meat with it. Cut both roasts in half so you have 4 smaller versions. (Just makes them easier to work with).
- Preheat a large nonstick pan. Coat your roast pieces in the 'marinade'. Apply the 'spice rub' liberally to one side, put the spiced side down in the pan and cover the top side with the rub. We're searing the meat. This will 1) give it a nice smokey hint since we're going to cook it in the slow cooker and 2) seal in the flavors a bit better and give the meat some structure (when it's done it'll be falling apart it's so tender) Cook all chunks of meat 5 minutes on both sides. See pic for example of a good sear..
- Drop the 4 pieces of seared meat into the slow cooker where your 'cooking base' should be nice and warm. Turn the cooker down to low. That's going to cook for 5 hours (give or take. My slow cooker is brand new so it works really well. My low is almost high it seems) Now we'll make the slaw so it can sit in the fridge for a few hours..
- Empty the bag of slaw into a Tupperware container. Add the 3/4 chopped purple onion. Sprinkle about half the packet of Baja citrus powder on. Cover and shake. In a separate container mix about a cup of sour cream and half of one of the lime juices together. Whisk well with a fork. Add to the slaw and blend well with the fork. Taste it. Add more of whatever you feel it might need… Maybe nothing. Maybe it's perfect. I needed to add more of the Baja citrus powder and a touch more sour cream. Depends on your taste. Cover and put it in da fridge. Break time for a few hours..
- After 5 hours the pork should be falling apart as you lift it out of the cooker with tongs and shake it dry a bit. Remove the meat to a separate plate. Use a slotted spoon to get all the solid bits out of the 'cooking base'. Pick out as many purple onion pieces as you can and add to the meat. Reserve about 2 cups of the cooking base and discard the rest along with the solid bits. Shred the pork. You should be able to just use 2 forks. Your not cutting it, just 'pulling' it apart. Hence 'pulled pork'…. Eureka!!.
- Put the now pulled pork back into slow cooker along with the 2 cups of reserved base and squeeze the raw lime onto the pork. Also now we're going to add our fresh chopped cilantro. Again, the amount depends on your taste. I LOOOOVE cilantro so I did like a cups worth. Let cook for hour or hour and 1/2, still on low, mixing occasionally..
- Now it's done! Put into a warm flour tortilla (you can also use a bun. Hell, put it on crackers and it'll be delicious!) and top with the citrus crema slaw and you've got yourself a mouth party!!.