Root Vegetable Stew with Red Wine (Vegan).
You can cook Root Vegetable Stew with Red Wine (Vegan) using 17 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Root Vegetable Stew with Red Wine (Vegan)
- You need 4 cloves of garlic.
- You need 1 of Leek or onion.
- It’s 2 of Bay leaves.
- It’s 1 tsp of grated ginger (optional).
- You need 1/2 tsp of thyme.
- It’s 4 of medium potatoes (or taro roots are good too!).
- It’s 3 of carrots.
- Prepare 1 handful of rutabaga (or sunchokes/Jerusalem artichokes).
- You need 2-3 of small sweet potatoes and/or potatoes.
- You need 1/4 tsp of Nutmeg.
- It’s 1 cup of Red wine.
- You need 1 Tbsp of Tomato paste.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Flour.
- You need 1 cup of Water.
- It’s to taste of Salt & pepper.
- You need 1 Tbsp of Oil for sautéing, or more if needed.
- You need to taste of Parsley, chives, etc to garnish.
Root Vegetable Stew with Red Wine (Vegan) instructions
- Prepare your carrots, potatoes and other veggies: Cut carrots into thumb-sized chunks. Peel potatoes/taro root and halve (or quarter if large). Cut any other veggies you might be using to the around the same size..
- Finely chop onion/leek, mince ginger if using, peel and crush garlic. Heat oil in a heavy pot and saute onion, ginger, garlic, bay leaves and thyme until onion starts to brown (10-12 minutes)..
- Add in other vegetables to pot along with 1.5 tsp salt, pepper, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Cook for 5 minutes on medium..
- Turn heat to high and add 1 cup of red wine. Scrape up any onion bits from the bottom of pot. Cook until wine is reduced to half..
- Turn heat to medium and add flour and tomato paste..
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes..
- Uncover, add 1 cup of water and stir. Cook until liquid is reduced to half again..
- Turn to low so vegetables are just simmering. Cover with lid and simmer for 20-25 minutes. You should end up with a nice thick broth by the end! Add salt & pepper if needed, sprinkle on some chives or parsley and serve!.