Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry -Vegan. The sweet potato or sweetpotato (Ipomoea batatas) is a dicotyledonous plant that belongs to the bindweed or morning glory family, Convolvulaceae. The sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) is a member of the Convolvulaceae family of flowering plants, which includes the morning glory, chokeweed, and water spinach. The sweet potato has been cultivated for thousands of years for its tuberous roots.
The edible part of these plants are the tubers that grow on the roots. Whether you're using sweet potatoes in a fancy-special holiday dish or just baking one for a quick after-work dinner, you're getting a veggie with major health superpowers. Sweet potatoes should not be confused with yams, another starchy root widely grown in Western Africa. You can have Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry -Vegan using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry -Vegan
- It’s 1 of Glug oil.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Cumin seeds.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Turmeric.
- Prepare 1 pinch of Garam Masala.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Chilli Flakes (depending on heat of curry).
- You need 1 of Large Onion chopped.
- It’s 50 g of Root ginger.
- It’s 750 g of Sweet Potato.
- It’s 2 tins of Chickpeas.
- It’s 2 tins of Chopped Tomatoes.
- Prepare 2 cloves of Garlic.
Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A and provide fiber, potassium, and many other nutrients. Learn more about the health benefits of sweet potatoes, as well as how to cook them, here. And these sweet potato brownies are my way of saying thank you… because nothing could have prepared me for the unbelievably supportive reader response that followed. The sweet potato is probably one of the most-versatile vegetables.
Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry -Vegan instructions
- Heat the oil in the pan on a low heat and add the cumin seeds, garam masala & turmeric. Leave for a few mins and then add the onions, garlic, ginger and chilli flakes and increase to a medium heat for another 2 mins..
- Add chickpeas (drain and rinse), sweet potato chunks, tinned tomatoes and enough water to cover all the chickpeas and sweet potato..
- Cover and cook for approx half an hour on a medium- low heat, stirring occasionly and checking of more water is needed. Season when done..
- Boil rice whilst cooking dish and serve when potato chunks become soft (this will depend based on size of potato chunks)..
Find recipes for all the different ways you can prepare sweet potatoes here. Over the years, sweet potatoes have been studied, and the means of production have also been improved. Initially, people experimented, but now there are particular things that are known that guarantees better production of this vegetable. Sweet potatoes are a surprisingly nutritious vegetable. Cultivation of sweet potatoes originated in Central and South America.