Spicy Vegan Lentil Mabo Tofu. Pan fried tofu and tender black lentils are simmered in spicy tomato sauce with creamy dairy-free yogurt to make this flavorful Indian-inspired vegan curry. So I decided to put it all together, lentils and tofu for a big old bowl of Indian butter tofu and lentils. The Japanese-style Mapo Tofu (Mabo Dofu) is incredibly flavorful but less spicy than the Sichuan-style.
If you are a fan of Trader Joe's spicy lentil wraps, you will LOVE these Spicy Quinoa-Lentil Wraps with tahini sauce! I really love Korean cuisine and this amazing Korean-style spicy tofu is so delicious and easy to make. I usually eat it with some rice and veggies. You can cook Spicy Vegan Lentil Mabo Tofu using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Spicy Vegan Lentil Mabo Tofu
- You need 100 g of lentils, soaked overnight.
- Prepare 1 block of silk or soft tofu, 350-400 g.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 1 of chunk fresh ginger.
- You need 1 of spring or green onion, white part.
- You need 1 Tbsp of Chinese fermented black beans.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Sichuan peppercorns, ground.
- You need 1-2 tsp of douban jiang (spicy chili bean paste).
- It’s 1 Tbsp of sesame oil (or vegetable oil).
- You need 1/2 cup of vegetable or kombu stock.
- You need 2 tsp of potato starch.
- You need 1 Tbsp of soy sauce.
- It’s 1 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare of Chopped scallions to garnish.
Mabo tofu, a tofu and vegetable stew with a gravy sauce, is one of the most popular homecooked dishes in Japan. This Spicy Vegan Orange Tofu and Peppers is a great fix for weeknight dinner. Sweet and sour and zesty glaze on crispy Tofu. With creamy blocks of tofu smothered in a fragrant spicy sauce made from ground mushrooms, this Vegan Mapo Since the only ingredient in traditional Mapo Tofu that isn't vegan is the ground meat, it seems like a simple substitution to make it plant-based.
Spicy Vegan Lentil Mabo Tofu step by step
- Prep all the ingredients beforehand so you can work quickly while stir-frying (don't forget to soak your lentils for 6-8 hours!). Mince the garlic, green onion and fermented black beans. Grate the ginger and lightly grind the Sichuan peppercorns..
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat the sesame oil and fry the ginger, garlic and spring onion until fragrant. Add the fermented black beans and Sichuan peppercorns and fry for about 1 minute, stirring..
- Add the douban jiang/spicy chili bean paste and fry briefly while mixing it into the other ingredients..
- Add the soaked and drained lentils, then pour in enough water to just cover everything. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on medium low for about 15 minutes until the lentils are soft..
- While the lentils are cooking, mix 1/2 cup stock with 2 tsp potato starch, 1 Tbsp soy sauce and 1 tsp sugar in a small bowl and set aside..
- Once the lentils are soft, cut the tofu into bite-sized cubes and add it into the pan. Gently toss to mix but avoid stirring or the tofu may fall apart..
- Give the stock mix from step 5 a stir and pour it over the lentils and tofu. Bring to a boil and simmer for a couple minutes until the sauce has thickened a bit. Garnish with chopped scallions and serve..
These spicy vegan lentil cakes are perfect for satisfying your spicy food cravings! Enjoy one of Japan's favourite Chinese-style dishes with this recipe for mabo tofu. Consisting of tofu and mince cooked in a spicy sauce, Mabo Tofu can be made quickly and easily, making it ideal for. The Best Vegan Silken Tofu Recipes on Yummly Vegan Omelette With Silken Tofu Baked Buffalo Tofu Nuggets with Vegan Ranch Sauce (gluten-free)Emilie Eats.